Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Missoni Dress



This dress and the belt it's shown with in the first photo make me salivate. The style is simultaneously retro, because of its fitted shape, and totally of-the-moment, thanks to its swooping, billowing sleeves. The fabric drapes gorgeously and its unique pattern combines some of my favorite warm earth tones. I love it paired with the dark, cable-knit tights as in the first image, but it would also work fine with a bare leg on early fall days. It seems like such a great work dress, and could easily be paired with some round toe pumps like the black or grey ones I wrote about a couple of days ago.

Something I find strange is that if I'd just seen the second photo in a magazine, I think I would have passed the dress by entirely. It can be hard to picture what some of the past few seasons' voluminous clothes will look like on. I guess there's a lesson here about keeping an open mind about what styles might work for you and remembering when you're out shopping that it can be good to occasionally try on shapes that you might not usually wear. Who knows, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm also amused that the dress was featured in both Harper's Bazaar and Vogue. Seems like I'm not the only one crushing.

Dress by Missoni. First image from Harper's Bazaar, July '07. Second Image from Vogue, July, '07.

No comments: